Menu Bar

Home           Calendar           Topics          Just Charlestown          About Us

Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Join the Hope Valley Memorial Day Parade

RI Senate passes Victoria Gu bill to require home insurers to give proper notice before cancellation

Climate change risk pushes insurers to cancel coastal home insurance 

The Senate approved legislation sponsored by Sen. Victoria Gu to require insurers to provide customers with advance notice of nonrenewal for homeowners and residential fire insurance policies.

“Insurance companies are being a lot more selective about the location and the condition of the houses they insure, declining to cover homes in coastal areas or with older roofs or water heaters,” said Senator Gu (D-Dist. 38, Westerly, Charlestown, South Kingstown). 

“The 60 days’ advance notice will help homeowners find alternative insurance coverage and find tradespeople if they need to fix something at their house in order to continue insurance coverage.”

EDITOR'S NOTE: Cathy and I went through this last year TWICE, each time finding insurance companies were changing the rules about covering properties near the coast. Once you find coverage, or maybe I should say IF you find coverage, prices are way up.  - Will Collette

Newest poll shows Helena Foulkes kicking Dan McKee's butt by 20%

59% Say Rhode Island Is Headed in the Wrong Direction


A new Emerson College Polling/WPRI-TV 12 News survey of Rhode Island finds incumbent Governor Dan McKee trailing businesswoman Helena Foulkes in the Democratic primary by 20 points, 20% to 40%. Thirty-seven percent are undecided ahead of the September primary. 

“Registered Democrats support Foulkes over Governor McKee by a 12-point margin, 37% to 25%, while independent voters break more significantly for Foulkes by 32 points, 45% to 13%,” Spencer Kimball, executive director of Emerson College Polling, said. 

McKee is viewed unfavorably by 60% of Rhode Island voters, while 21% have a favorable view of him. Among Democratic Primary voters, 29% have a favorable view of McKee and 50% an unfavorable view. Foulkes’ favorability is split: 27% have a favorable view of her and 29% have an unfavorable view of her. Among Democratic Primary voters, 35% have a favorable view of Foulkes and 23% an unfavorable view. 

Trump fights fraud by withholding funds from blue states while pardoning the fraudsters

It's odd that fraud only seems to happen in blue states

Julia Conley for Common Dreams

“Political retribution, plain and simple,” was how US Sen. Alex Padilla described an announcement by Vice President JD Vance late Wednesday regarding the White House’s decision to withhold $1.3 billion in Medicaid reimbursement payments to California.

Vance and Mehmet Oz, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, claimed the state’s Medicaid records have generated “red flags” and demanded officials clarify $630 million in billing, $500 million that’s been spent on home health services, and $200 million in what Oz called “questionable expenditures,” which he claimed had been used to provide coverage for undocumented immigrants, who are not eligible for Medicaid.

The announcement came a month after Vance’s federal anti-fraud task force suspended the licenses of nearly 450 hospice care facilities and 23 home health agencies in the Los Angeles area, accusing them of fraud.

Vance also warned that all 50 states could soon see federal funding for their Medicaid Fraud Control Units frozen if they fail to “aggressively prosecute Medicaid fraud.”

“We can turn off other resources within their state Medicaid programs as well,” said the vice president.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who has frequently sparred with the Trump administration, said Vance and Oz were “attacking programs that keep seniors and people with disabilities OUT of nursing homes,” which are far more expensive to run than home healthcare agencies.

Newsom said the growth of the state’s In-Home Supportive Services program has saved taxpayers “$107,000 per person” by reducing reliance on nursing homes.

“MAGA hates in-home support programs—which help people stay out of costly institutional settings like nursing homes and get the care they deserve, typically from loved ones,” said Newsom.

Newsom also said the Trump administration had informed state officials that the deadline to review California’s Medicaid records “before deciding whether to defer funding” would be later in the month.

Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Will the rich run away if Rhode Island tries to tax them?

Weayonnoh Nelson Davies & Patrick Crowley call out vague claims and weak evidence in RIPEC's anti-millionaires' tax report

SteveAhlquist.news

"With the report’s vagueness about the possibility of economic consequences and failure to quantify risk, RIPEC’s warnings ought not to persuade policymakers or anyone considering the evidence." 

The Economic Progress Institute (EPI) and Rhode Island AFL-CIO find that the Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council (RIPEC)’s recent report, Rhode Island’s Millionaires’ Tax Proposal: The Economic Risks of Becoming Less Competitive and Losing Taxpayers, falls woefully short on data or evidence to justify its claims and opposition to raising taxes modestly on the state’s highest-income filers.

Here are the Top 5 reasons why the report is unreliable and misleading – plus a critique of the report’s main data point and statistical claim:

Targeting the worst of the worse


Accidentally true (continued)


 

McKee unveils 6 picks for revamped CRMC.

Critics are underwhelmed.

By Nancy Lavin, Rhode Island Current

Three lawyers, two former state lawmakers and an entrepreneur whose business ventures include a word game app and organic salad dressings are Gov. Dan McKee’s picks for the reshaped Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council.

The six nominees, all men, are slated for initial confirmation hearings before the Senate Committee on Environment and Agriculture Wednesday — nearly three months after the March 1 deadline for new appointees to join the volunteer council. 

McKee’s office did not respond to requests for comment Monday on the delay or on his choices of candidates. Copies of their resumes or applications were also not immediately available, nor was the total number of applications received.

McKee’s recommendation letters, submitted to the Rhode Island Senate on May 14, do not offer any details about the candidates besides their names, and, when applicable, their professional qualifications.

Requiring the volunteer panel members to have relevant work experience was a central part of the reform effort approved by state lawmakers on the final day of the 2025 legislative session. The law reduced the size of the council from 10 to seven people to fix the problem of recurring vacancies that force meetings to be canceled due to lack of quorum. 

Foulkes rolls out first part of her economic plan with a $100 Million "Classroom-to-Career" proposal

Practical approach for jobs and the economy

Steve Ahlquist

Gubernatorial candidate Helena Buonanno Foulkes (Democrat) announced the first component of “Believe in Rhode Island,” her comprehensive economic plan to give “every Rhode Islander a real shot at a good-paying job, a career, and a better future.”

“Over the next few weeks, I’m going to be rolling out parts of Believe in Rhode Island, my comprehensive economic plan that I will implement as governor,” said Foulkes. 

“My plan is grounded in the belief in our people, our talent, and the incredible assets that Rhode Island has to offer. For too long, our elected leaders have been trying to tax incentive or special deal their way into economic success. Instead, we should invest in Rhode Islanders and lean into what our incredible state has to offer. I’m proud... to announce my Classroom-to-Career Initiative, the largest investment in career and technical education in the history of Rhode Island.

“Every parent I meet wants the same thing for their kid: a good, stable job and a future where they don’t have to leave Rhode Island to find a job. For too long, we’ve told young people that the only path to a successful career runs through a four-year college, but talking to the men and women in our trades, the operating engineers, the electricians, the plumbers, the iron workers, and the carpenters, they’ll tell you they have stable careers, good pay, and pride in the work they do. 

"It’s the same for our healthcare workers, our advanced manufacturers, and our marine technicians. All Rhode Island needs is more people in all of these careers, and that’s why, as governor, I’ll propose a $100 million bond to fund capital construction for career and technical education facilities at or near high schools throughout the state, so our young people can learn career track skills and start careers with Rhode Island companies straight after graduation.”

“My classroom to career plan has four key points,” said Foulkes.

BAD air today! Exercise caution and common sense outdoors

Pollen count is also high
Air Quality Forecast | Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management


Monday, May 18, 2026

Earth-Destroying Trump and the Threat of World War III

The nightmare that is Donald Trump

Tom Engelhardt in the TomDispatch

Unlike every other column of mine, this one won’t be broken up with section titles for a simple reason. It’s all about Donald J. Trump and when it comes to him, in this strange world of ours, no one ever really gets a break.

In that context, here’s my advice to you: Don’t get old. For years, I managed not to do so, but unfortunately that’s all over now and I’m increasingly an old man. In fact, I’m not quite two years older than Donald J. Trump. 

I was born on July 20, 1944, while World War II was still ongoing, and he was born on June 14, 1946, in the peacetime that followed but would all too soon become the Cold War with the Soviet Union.

And let me tell you something else: these days it’s hard enough to keep the website I still run, TomDispatch, in some kind of reasonable shape, while also keeping track of our ever-stranger, more confusing, all-too-Trumpian world. 

But keeping track of things nationally and globally as an 80-year-old president of the United States (with another two-and-a-half years to go) in a world that seems to be coming apart at the — whoops, sorry, I can’t help it! — seams? I simply can’t imagine that. Of course, I couldn’t imagine it for Joe Biden either, and yet he left the presidency when he was a staggering 82 years and 61 days old and will still have been younger than Trump if he truly makes it to January 20, 2029. (And both of them will have beaten the oldest Roman Emperor, Gordian I, who at 81 only lasted a few weeks in power.)

It’s hardly news that Donald Trump is now the oldest president ever to take the oath of office (twice!) and, in that sense, he’s been both record-setting and, in his own strange way, remarkable. 

But in case you hadn’t noticed, while he’s always had his odd moments, they are indeed getting ever odder and more frequent. After all, how many times has this country had a president who mistook himself for (or do I mean confused himself with) Jesus Christ? Oh, wait, how could be so confused? That image wasn’t of Jesus but (as “our” president insisted) of a lookalike medical doctor. (“I thought it was me as a doctor,” Trump said. “Only the fake news could come up with that.”)

And meanwhile, of course, in his own ever stranger fashion, “our” president took out after Leo, the American pope, himself a veritable youth at 70 years old, calling him of all things, “WEAK on crime” and, of course, “catering to the Radical Left.” Oh, and while he was at it, Trump also posted an image of himself being hugged by (yes, of course!) Jesus. And Leo responded to the president’s abuse by all too accurately deploring a world being “ravaged by a handful of tyrants” (including, of course, You Know Exactly Whom).

Just in case you hadn’t noticed, as an imperial power (even, historically speaking, the imperial power, the only one at its height to control quite so much of the planet in one fashion or another), this country, too, is growing ever older and (again) in its own strange fashion going down (as, of course, all great imperial powers do sooner or later). Phew! That was a long sentence for this old guy, but you can’t get too long and complicated (or do I mean confused?) when it comes to the world of Donald J. Trump. In electing him a second time in 2024, 49.8% of American voters clearly opted to go down in style by giving imperial oldness a startling new meaning.

Ask the hand

News from the Charlestown Democratic Town Committee

 

C-Town Dems News

May 2026

Save the Dates

Monday, June 1st
Charlestown Budget Referendum

 

Vote for the proposed budget from 8 AM – 8 PM. Details here.

Wednesday, June 3rd
Meet the candidates

 

CDTC meeting
Charlestown Police Station, 6 PM

 

As part of our ongoing efforts to bring statewide candidates to South County, we'll be hosting Newport City Councilor Xay Khamsyvoravong, who is running for Lieutenant Governor (xayforri.com) and State Rep. Joe Solomon who is running for Attorney General (joeforri.com/what-we-do). 

Saturday, June 6th

From 10 AM – 12 noon @ Caf Bar in The Venue, 5153 Old Post Road

Call for Volunteers

Your Charlestown Democratic Town Committee needs you! We are looking for active participants who want to help support Democratic candidates and causes. If interested, send us a note. to info@charlestowndemocrats.org. Please consider joining us!

Get our latest updates

The Charlestown Democratic Town Committee manages the affairs of the Democratic Party in the town of Charlestown, RI subject to RI Election Law, State Party rules and its own bylaws. We meet the first Wednesday of every month at 6:00 PM at the Charlestown Police Station. Any Charlestown registered Democrat is welcome to attend.